Sunday, September 20, 2009

Quilt Show and Crazy Quilting

Friday I had the honor of helping out in the Fort Worth Chapter EGA booth at the Trinity Valley Quilt Show. I'm new to the chapter and was looking forward to the event. I started the day by going to the wrong convention center. I managed to find a parking garage and paid $10 to park. But when I went in there was nothing going on! By the time I realized I was at the wrong place I was late. (Not the kind of impression I wanted to make to my new friends.)

However, I was able to get this picture of the lone star made with cowboy hats that hangs inside the Fort Worth Convention Center. Pretty cool, huh?


I managed to get my $10 back from the parking garage and proceeded to get lost in downtown Fort Worth. I stopped and made a few phone calls and finally got to the right place. Luckily, being new was on my side, they all understood and laughed with me. The EGA booth was exhibiting a collection of antique needlework tools and had a great display of stitched pieces. I enjoyed making some new friends and talking to people at the show. We may have found some new members! Here's the booth after Daryl and Pat took over for the next shift.

I spent some time wandering around the show and was mostly finished by the time I realized that taking pictures of the quilts was okay. There were many, many, beautiful quilts and I got only a dozen shots of some that I liked.

Of course, I like this one with the embroidery. Click here if you'd like to see the rest of the quilt pictures I took.

Speaking of quilting, the Fort Worth Chapter EGA is working on a crazy quilting pincushion project. I've never tried crazy quilting so I thought I'd join along. Here's my project after the initial piecing. I discovered that crazy quilt piecing is not as easy as it sounds!

I've pulled out gold and brown beads, brown, beige and cream silks, some metalics, and a collection of shell buttons to take with me to the meeting tomorrow. The finished project is a pincushion using the tutorial on the Ivory Blush Roses blog found here.

No comments: