Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Reading and Stitching

I have always loved to read. I remember when I was young spending hours inside reading books even when the weather was beautiful. I still love to read but unfortunately you can't read and stitch at the same time! Of course, there are always audio books which are wonderful because I can listen and stitch or drive or clean house or whatever. But nothing compares with curling up in a favorite spot with a cup of coffee or glass of wine and allowing myself to be carried off into the story of a good book. So when I do put down the stitching in favor of a book, the book has to be pretty special!

I just finished reading Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper. To some it's simply a story about a blind cat, which is in itself pretty special. It's really the story of a young woman living with 2 cats who takes on a 3rd cat whose eyes had to be removed completely when he was just a kitten. Homer, the eyeless cat, is a true joy and inspiration and sees the young woman through learning to make her way on her own, building her career and the perils of dating. I loved it!

I was pleased to find a package in the mail recently from Amazon.com of books I purchased with a gift certificate. All stacked up by my bed ready for the next reading binge are . . .




Her Fearful Symmetry, a new release by the author of The Time Traveler's Wife which I loved and was made into a fabulous movie.

The Book Thief which I've heard great reviews from stitching friends.

The Thirteenth Tale which I don't remember how I heard about it but it looks wonderful with ghosts and mysteries and such. My favorite kind of story!

1 comment:

DebbieSFL said...

The Book Thief will break your heart, but is a fabulous book and I also loved The Thirteenth Tale. I think you will LOVE both of them.