Sunday, January 24, 2010

Movies and TV Shows to Stitch By

I like watching movies and television when I stitch. Especially now that we have our new fireplace, an HDTV, and a Roku box for Netflix. I know I'm not the only one, so I thought I'd share some of of what I'm watching lately and hopefully my readers will comment with the same.

I'm still on my Dark Shadows marathon. I think I've watched 1,042 episodes and am up to 1970. I actually think I've caught up with where I started watching when I was in junior high, but I really don't remember a lot.

There's such a vampire craze lately, but Jonathan Frid's portrayal of Barnabas Collins back then was fabulous. Of course, in junior high I didn't quite get the sensual nature of the vampire, but between Jonathan Frid and Robert Pattinson, I'm starting to get the picture! Whatever am I going to do when Johnny Depp plays Barnabas Collins in the Dark Shadows remake?


But I digress. . .

This afternoon I watched Brideshead Revisited. It was, well, interesting! I'm a big Emma Thompson fan and it did have a captivating story. This is one that Bob didn't want to watch with me, so it was perfect for an solo stitching afternoon.



Now, this IS something that Bob likes to watch with me. The A&E production of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle is the very best - we can say that because we watch whatever other versions we can find just to compare. Actually, I think Bob likes looking at Jennifer Ehle :) We've probably seen it 6 times!



Speaking of Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy, I absolutely love him in Bridget Jones's Diary. I also love Renee Zellweger and Hugh Grant and this movie is definitely a favorite for stitching. Followed immediately by Bridget Jones-The Edge of Reason, of course.




We watched Philadelphia last week. I think I had never seen the whole thing all the way through. Wow! Tom Hanks did an excellent job - his academy award was well deserved.



Some TV sitcoms are also great to stitch by. I think Golden Girls tops that list.

So what do you like watch while you stitch?

4 comments:

Tanya Willis Anderson said...

I love Emma Thompson too but haven't seen that one - kinda mixed on it but have it in my Netflix instant queue anyway. Glad you liked it!
Have you seen Howards End? Sooooo good. Sad but good.
Tanya

Anonymous said...

I really like any movie to stitch by but I guess more the girly flicks or a good long drama. Action is to hard for me to stitch because I get distracted.
Last night I watched Cry Baby with Johnny Depp to stitch by.

Margaret said...

Ohhhhh, Johnny Depp is going to be in a Dark Shadows remake? I love anything with Johnny Depp! But when I stitch I tend to listen to audiobooks myself. Not much watching. I need to watch when I watch movies. I guess I need to learn to watch ones I've watched a lot. :D

Valerie said...

Pride and Prejudice is a favorite of mine to stitch to also! And the Golden Girls, I can't get enough of them! I have always heard such good things about Dark Shadows, I need to add it to my Netflix queue. I am always looking for new things to watch!
Currently, I am watching the Tudors series from Showtime. I LOVE tudor history, so I am really enjoying the series (even if it is not completely historically accurate - it IS Hollywood!)
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and saying hi! I appreciate your nice comments about Sara. I look forward to keeping up with you and your WIP'S! Happy Stitching!