Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Marbles and the LaLa box


When I was a kid I loved marbles!!  I don't remember where I got them, but I do remember the cool orange marble bag my mother made.  We'd play marbles at school and in the neighborhood.  My marble collection grew when I started winning other kids marbles.

The orange bag of marbles is still in the game cabinet at my mother's house where my nieces and nephews played with them.  I imagine their kids will play with my marbles as well some day.

I was in an antique store in Grand Rapids one time and saw a HUGE tub of vintage glass marbles!  I couldn't resist plunging my hand in to feel them.  The sign said "all the marbles you can fit in a baggie $2.00".  The baggies were pretty small, but I crammed in all I could and felt like I got a deal.  The most fun was picking out the different colors.  Now these marbles reside in the LaLa box for my grandaughters to play with.

What's the LaLa box you ask?   Shhhhhhh, it's for girls only.


The LaLa box is a box under the bed in my room that contains, well, stuff!  All the fun little things that the adult in me wonders what to do with and the little girl in me won't part with.  Let's see, there's some of my grandmother's costume jewelry, old keys, sparkly coin purses, a tiny doll made out of a sock, pens that write glitter, and notebooks with kittens on them.  Miniature office supplies, small toys out of Christmas Crackers, plastic butterflies, small jewelry boxes, and the foam tiara I wore when I got up at 3:00 in the morning to watch the royal wedding with some stitching friends.  That's not a complete list, but you get the picture. 

When my grandaughters come to visit, they ask to see the LaLa box.  We go in my bedroom and shut the door, pull the box out from under the bed and sit on the floor to just look at everything.  At first they wanted to keep this a secret thing between us, but later decided that any girls would be allowed (like aunts and mommies).

Now the LaLa box has marbles.  I guess I'll have to teach them how to play :)

() () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () ()

I'm doing a bit of framing lately.  Here's the Fall Mystery Stitch-Along from the By the Bay Needleart blog.  It was a really fun stitch and I found the coolest frame at Hobby Lobby.  What do you think?

 
 
Happy stitching!
Sherri

2 comments:

Siobhán said...

What a fun idea for the La La Box! I love your framing--very nice!

Giovanna said...

Congrats on the BtB finish - and what a great frame.